Set Yourself Up for Success with Best Practices for Your Mobile E-Commerce Site
March 15, 2021
The internet is right at your fingertips thanks to our mobile devices, and shopping online is more accessible and convenient than ever. It certainty came in handy for shoppers during the recent pandemic.
If the site you’re landing on isn’t mobile-optimized, it can become frustrating. For those owning an e-commerce website, you’ll want to make sure you’re using these best practices of mobile e-commerce optimization to provide an excellent mobile experience to boost your traffic and sales.
Our design and development team at KSA&D work cohesively to include these essential features for mobile e-commerce optimization on our client’s mobile websites:
- Support Image Zooming by Pinching and Double-Tapping: Mobile users are familiar with zooming in on product images to see finer details. This can be done by double-tapping or pinching and expanding the picture with their fingers. KSA&D makes this a feature on our client’s mobile websites to provide a good user experience.
- Provide a Saved Shopping Cart Feature: Adding a feature that saves what you add to the cart when you return to the site increases the user’s chance of completing their purchase and decreases abandoned carts. KSA&D adds this feature to help increase sales for our e-commerce clients.
- Use Well-Labeled Forms Optimized for Mobile: Creating forms that are well-labeled helps create a good user experience. Other tips for a mobile-optimized form are to disable autocorrect on any required fields and position your forms on the page that thumbs can easily reach. KSA&D creates and thoroughly tests the best user experience for forms on our client’s websites.
- Keep Search Above the Fold: The search feature on a site is essential to help users quickly find what they intend to buy on the site. Keeping the search feature prominent at the top of the fold or closer to the top of the page ensures a good user experience and more chances of buying products. Our design team at KSA&D puts best practices like this into mobile design for every client.
- Instill a Sense of Security and Trust: Shoppers want to make sure their personal information is secure. KSA&D is experienced in helping to implement the security measures needed on our client’s sites, including SSL certification and PCI compliance.
- Provide Easy, Thumb-Oriented Interaction: Design your mobile site to provide easy and comfortable navigation using thumbs to avoid a frustrating user experience. KSA&D thinks creatively throughout the entire website build process to deliver the best user experience.
- Make it Fast and Easy to Pay: Enable fast and secure payment options like Apple Pay and Google Pay. The ease of payment decreases loss of sales and encourages users to make a return purchase. Our development team makes the checkout performance seamless for our e-commerce clients.
- Personalize the Mobile Shopping Experience: Personalizing the user’s shopping experience makes it a more effortless experience. Gaining GPS information with permission from the user allows you to provide local shipping information and time estimates. This information makes it easier for the user to decide if they want to complete their purchase.
- Implement Mobile Optimization: To provide a good user experience on a mobile device, make sure that your site speed is enhanced to load your website pages quickly on phones. Making sure your content is relevant and easily readable is another good practice for mobile devices. KSA&D implements, at minimum, the recommended font size by Google of 16 CSS pixels, and we utilize mobile speed testing tools along with HTML Localstorage Specification to make sure our client’s websites are loading quickly. KSA&D puts the best practices in place for optimization and can continue to help optimize your website on a monthly basis.
- Use a 70/30 Top Heavy Design: On a mobile device, it is important to have elements users will look for, like the shopping cart, search, and call to action above the fold. This helps the user complete the customer buying journey. KSA&D’s design team keeps this in mind with each design for our client’s e-commerce sites.
- Keep Navigation Simple and Provide an Easy Guest Check-Out Option: Don’t clutter the navigation bar on mobile — it will provide a frustrating user experience. Instead, include the essential links in the navigation and move everything else under a burger menu. This will help guide the user to purchase. Once they get to the checkout, offer a guest checkout option to make it easier for the user. On a mobile device, you want a quick and simple checkout as most users don’t want to fill out an account form to make their purchase.
These mobile e-commerce optimization tips will put you on top of your competition. Not sure where to begin? Contact KSA&D! We’ll gladly work with you to enhance your e-commerce site for mobile and desktop.